Greetings, and thanks for visiting my professional webpage! My name is Dr. Carly S. Woods, and I am an associate professor in the Department of Communication and affiliate faculty member in the Department of Women's Studies at the University of Maryland in College Park.
A little about me:
A little about me:
- I've lived all over the United States and find inspiration in forests, oceans, mountains, and plains. It is hard to pinpoint a hometown when you have moved around as much as I have, but I feel fortunate to call Whidbey Island, Washington my childhood home.
- Competitive debate was a transformative activity for me in high school, college, and graduate school. In 2005, I represented the United States on a debate tour of Japan and South Korea, sponsored by the National Communication Association's Committee on International Discussion and Debate and the Japan Debate Association. Now, argumentation and debate is one of my primary areas of research.
- Higher education took me first to the University of Mary Washington, where I designed a major that combined coursework in Communication, English, Linguistics, History, Philosophy, Political Science, and Women's Studies, and then to the University of Pittsburgh, where I earned my M.A. and Ph.D. in the Department of Communication. While at Pitt, I also taught and received a doctoral certificate in the Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies Program.
- My first faculty position was at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, where I was a joint-appointed assistant professor in the Department of Communication Studies and Women's and Gender Studies Program. In 2016, I joined the faculty at the University of Maryland.
- Currently, I serve on the editorial boards of the Quarterly Journal of Speech, Women's Studies in Communication, Argumentation and Advocacy, Rhetoric and Public Affairs, Journal of the History of Rhetoric, and Contemporary Argumentation and Debate. I am also the book review editor for Argumentation and Advocacy.
- In my free time, I enjoy traveling, finding tasty vegetarian food, going to museums, watching films, and spending time with my family. I am a dog lover and forever thankful to the animal rescues that allowed my family to adopt our beloved pups. The photo below is one of my favorite places: the George Peabody Library in Baltimore, Maryland (Attribution: Matthew Petroff [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]